To guide or be guidedBikewithme is the most convenient, social and fun way to bike. You can choose to be a Guide by selecting « Guide a ride » or to follow a Guide by searching and joining a ride through « Search a ride ».
Guide a rideYou can ride share your favorite routes with others by guiding a ride. To do so, you must go to « Guide a ride » and select the ride schedule, ride level, minimum and maximum number of participants and your safety rules. If you have the GPX file with the route of the ride, you can upload it and generate the itinerary. If you don't have a GPX file, you can draw the route using the map interface and then export the GPX file to your computer or GPS-device. Once you create a ride, it would be open for other users to join. You can later modify the details of the ride, but the schedule, level and route are not editable while users are registered to your ride.
Search and Join a rideIf you prefer to follow others, by selecting « Search a ride », you can search and view the details of all available guided rides within your selected search dates, level and location. You can then choose to join your preferred ride.
RegistrationIf you want to participate in an upcoming guided ride, you need to firstly register and then be accepted by the Guide. The Guide can choose whether the participants would be automatically or manually confirmed for the ride. Manual confirmation offers the choice between accepting and refusing every single participant to the ride. When using the manual confirmation, the Guide has a deadline to approve or refuse the request for participation. If the Guide takes no action, the registration would be automatically accepted after this time. See below FAQ#6 All about deadlines for more info about deadlines.
CancellationGuides and participants can cancel their participation in a ride before the cancellation deadline, failing which Bikewithme will cancel the ride if the minimum number of participants is not fulfilled. See below FAQ#6 All about deadlines for more info about deadlines.
Participation and EvaluationAfter each ride, the Guide is asked to review the participation in order to know whether all the participants attended the ride. This allows Bikewithme to track the attendance of the users to the rides, ensure real activity and prevent fake users. The participants can evaluate the Guide using a short form after being confirmed as present by the Guide. This will allow the users to rate the Guides and encourage future participation in their rides. All the users would see the details of their previous and active rides on their profile page.
DonationAfter the evaluation of the ride, the participants can choose to make a donation via PayPal. Participants can choose how they want to split the donation between the Guide and Bikewithme.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1) Is it free?Yes, Bikewithme is a free platform which you can use without paying anything. If you enjoyed your ride you can make a donation that can be split between the Guide and Bikewithme.
2) I would like to lead a paid guided ride, is it possible?No, Bikewithme is a free platform and you are not allowed to ask people to pay to join your rides. If the participants enjoyed your ride, they may make a donation that can be split between the Guide and Bikewithme.
3) How do I change my username?You cannot perform this operation yourself. Please contact us.
4) How and when can I guide a ride?You can start right away guiding others and sharing your favourite rides. Remember as a Guide you are expected to be attentive to the route and the state of the participants. You should preferably start guiding routes you know very well in small groups. Later you may feel ready to guide new routes that you also want to explore yourself. We recommend that you plan your route well in advance and be equipped with maps or GPS devices. If you are not sure about guiding a ride, join a ride before starting out as a Guide.
6) All about deadlinesFor each ride, Bikewithme will calculate a deadline, failing which:
a) Guides and participants can no longer register or cancel their participation to a ride.
b) The pending participants will be automatically accepted to the rides.
c) Bikewithme will cancel the rides that do not fulfil the minimum number of participants.
Deadline calculationThis deadline is 3 days before the ride starts for rides planned 20 or more days in advance, or 85 % of the time interval between the moment of the creation of the ride and the moment when the ride starts.
7) « I’m a Guide and I would like to cancel my ride but the cancellation deadline has passed. »You can not cancel your ride after the cancellation deadline (see FAQ#6 All about deadlines).
However, we recommend that you send a message to the participants or post a message in the page of the ride to inform them.
8) « I would like to cancel my participation in a ride but the cancellation deadline has passed. »You can not cancel your participation after the cancellation deadline (see FAQ#6 All about deadlines).
However, we recommend that you send a message to the Guide.
9) As a Guide, can I refuse a participant?Yes, when you propose a ride, the manual confirmation offers you the choice between accepting and refusing every single participant to the ride. Moreover, we recommend do not accept individuals who have not registered for the ride. During the ride you can refuse a participant who does not meet the fitness requirements or does not respect your safety rules.
10) What happens if I don't show up for a ride?After each ride, the Guide is asked to review the ride to show whether all the participants attended to the ride. This allows Bikewithme to track user behaviour. If you don't show up to a ride you have registered and this situation occurs frequently you risk not being accepted on subsequent rides.
11) If I make a donation, where does my money goes?If you make a donation you can choose how to split the donation between the Guide and Bikewithme.
Bikewithme will use this money to support new Guides and increase the number of rides available in your vicinity.